Vol. 5, No. 2 May 2001
you can say to yourself to keep a lid on your anger
Examples of calming thoughts
to say to yourself when you are angry.
- I'll use my sense of humor and
make a joke of this.
- He would like me to get angry.
Well, I'm going to disappoint him.
- Losing my temper means trouble
for me because . . .
- I can't always expect people to
act the way I want them to.
- It's not worth it to get angry.
- I won't make a big deal about
- I'm not going to let this get
- I don't need to prove myself.
- As long as I keep cool, I'm in
- I'll grow up, not blow up.
- I won't get in a fight.
- I won't be a foolI'll keep
- I won't be mean.
- My muscles feel tight. Time to
- I'm under control. I can handle
- There is absolutely no reason
to get mad.
2001 Jordan Institute for Families