Vol. 18, No. 1 November 2013
In-Service Training Credit for Reading this Newsletter!
If you are
a North Carolina foster parent you can enjoy reading Fostering Perspectives
and earn credit toward your relicensure. Just write down the answers
to the questions below and present them to your licensing social worker. If your
answers are satisfactory, youll receive 30 minutes of credit toward
your in-service training requirement. If you have questions about this method of
gaining in-service credit, ask your worker.
Quiz, FP v18#1
- What is trauma?
- Why is it important for foster parents and other substitute caregivers to understand trauma and its effects?
- What are the benefits of being actively involved in your child's mental health treatment?
- How can you determine a mental health treatment is evidence-based?
- Name four things you can do to ensure children taking psychotropic medications get the care and oversight they need.
- Why does Laura Phipps advise you to carry a Q-Tip?
- What is La'Sharron Davidson's advice for foster parents?
- Behavior management strategies can be divided into three categories: Prevent, Teach, and Respond. Give two examples of strategies for each category.
- Which right in North Carolina's new "Foster Care Children's Bill of Rights" do you think will be easiest to guarantee? Which will be the hardest?
- How might past trauma affect birth parents and what are the implications for how you interact with them?
~ Family and Children's Resource Program, UNC-CH School of Social Work ~