Questions for New Kinship Caregivers to Ask
Questions to ask the child welfare worker about taking responsibility for the children:
- Who has legal custody of the children?
- What rights and responsibilities does legal custody give? Physical custody?
- May I receive a copy of the signed voluntary placement agreement? (when applicable)
- May I be involved in developing the service plan and receive a copy of the plan?
- Will the children or I have to go to court?
- Who is responsible for enrolling the children in school, obtaining health insurance, granting permission for and obtaining medical care and prescriptions, signing school permission forms, etc.?
- Will someone from child welfare services visit my home on a regular basis?
- What are the requirements for me and my home if I want the children to live with me?
- Are the requirements different if the children are with me just temporarily?
- What services are available for me and for the children, and how do I access them?
- Are there restrictions on the discipline I can use (such as spanking) with the children?
- What subsidies or financial assistance is available? What do I need to do to apply?
- Am I eligible to become a licensed foster parent and receive a foster care subsidy?
- Will the child welfare agency or social services provide support for child care?
- Will I receive transportation help to take the children to medical appointments?
Source: CWIG, 2016
For references cited in this issue, click here.