Parenting ResourceSimple Activities for Children and Adolescents
The National Child Traumatic Stress Network has developed a useful handout that offers activity ideas to parents whose families are sheltering in place, social distancing, and homeschooling due to school closures amidst the COVID-19 outbreak. This fact sheet outlines activities families can do without supplies, in lighted or dark areas, to stay preoccupied when dealing with the stress of a major event. Ideas found on “Simple Activities for Children and Adolescents” include:
- Write letters to friends or family. Create homemade cards to send to friends and family to stay connected.
- Play “Sound Search.” Everyone sits still and identifies as many different sounds as possible.
- Play “Follow the Leader.” Players line up and walk behind the leader, copying whatever the leader does.
- Read to your pet. This is great for young readers as well as children with reading challenges.
- Tell exaggerated “Stories” of the “old days” to entertain.
To access this complete handout, please visit https://bit.ly/2R3hMnx.